[Kde-accessibility] jovie and mbrola

Aleck Müller aleckm at lavabit.com
Fri Jan 18 18:35:53 UTC 2013

On 2012-12-21 19:07:23 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> Yeah, I get the same error about Broken pipe to module for festival here.
> Seems something broken between speech-dispatcher and it's festival module.

But in Konsole speech-dispatcher and festival works fine together.

1) Festival is not started as a server :

$ spd-conf --test-festival

Speech Dispatcher configuration tool

Testing whether Festival works as a server
ERROR: It was not possible to connect to Festival on the
given host and port. Connection failed with error 111 : Connection refused .
Hint: Most likely, your Festival server is not running now
or not at the default port 1314.

Try /etc/init.d/festival start or run 'festival --server' from the command
line.
Festival server is not working.

2) Now we can hear the text from a test file:

$ festival --language russian --tts fest2.txt

(Files festival.log and speech-dispatcher.log left untouched.)

3) From the command line:

$ festival --server

$ spd-conf --test-festival

Speech Dispatcher configuration tool

Testing whether Festival works as a server
Festival contains freebsoft-utils.
Festival server seems to work correctly

(Files festival.log and speech-dispatcher.log left untouched.)

And _now_ launch jovie and go to the empty Talkers screen. (I do not attach
screenshots because of localized system.) Click the Add button: there are no
any festival languages there! Only espeak ones :-(
Close jovie and cancel festival.

(Files festival.log and speech-dispatcher.log left untouched.)
~/.speech-dispatcher/conf/speechd.conf is attached.

Packages:
jovie                                              4:4.8.5-0ubuntu0.1
speech-dispatcher                    0.7.1-6ubuntu3
speech-dispatcher-festival    0.7.1-6
festvox-ru                                   0.5-4
There is bug 281076 at the KDE Bugzilla database with name
"KDE Text to Speech crashed while editing talkers."
Is it makes sense to start a bug with name
"KDE Text to Speech crashed while adding talkers?"
--
Aleck
Kubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit