[Kde-accessibility] Problems with qt-atspi and Orca

Thomas Ward thomasward1978 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 08:19:58 UTC 2011

Hello list,

A few minutes ago I caught a post on the Orca list that Attila has
managed to get qt-atspi up and working. Unfortunately, I can't say the
same for myself. A couple of weeks ago I joined this list offering to
help out, Fredrik gave me some good instructions for getting Qt
accessibility working, and so I followed those directions as directed.
Unfortunately, after compiling and building atk latest, atspi2-core,
at-spi2-atk, Qt 4.8, and qt-atspi, and setting the export variables I
have nothing to show for it. When I bring up the calculator test
application, for example, Orca doesn't report anything on the screen.
Unfortunately, it gets worse.

When I try to run something like Kate, Kcalculator, etc there is some
sort of error message that comes up on screen and Linux crashes. At
least Orca crashes and I have to reboot the system in order to restore
speech output. As I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 and it uses a lot of Gnome
2.x packages, not Gnome 3.x, I'm wondering if that might be the
problem here. Too many dependencies are out of date and somewhere down
the line its crashing the desktop. Any thoughts/suggestions where to
go or what to try next?

Thanks.