[Kde-accessibility] ATSPI Update

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Sun Aug 28 20:45:22 UTC 2011

Hi Peter,

On 28. aug. 2011, at 20.43, Peter Grasch wrote:

> Hi Frederik!
>
> I started to work on the ATSPI plugin today and have some questions:
The awesome :)

> I didn't manage to find any real documentation - is there anything available?
Uhm, right.
The problem is that there is OKish documentation for ATK, which in turn uses AT-SPI2.
They are pretty close but not always. So feel free to ask me if you don't understand things.
After being mystified by many things, I by now have the feeling that I scratched the surface.

Some links to help you get started:
use accerciser, it's great to test stuff - like the actions
http://developer.gnome.org/accerciser/stable/index.html.en

atk:
http://developer.gnome.org/atk/stable/

our new attempt to document best practices for atk/at-spi:
https://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/ATK/BestPractices

outdated at-spi, should not be used...?
http://people.gnome.org/~billh/at-spi-idl/html/

IAccessible2 - is further away but sometimes the docs give a better impression what is meant...
http://accessibility.linuxfoundation.org/a11yspecs/ia2/docs/html/index.html

> When introspecting the services, I can see that there is a "role" to each
> object that tells me wheter it's a button / label / etc. which is good.
> However, I couldn't find something like doAction() to actually use that
> information for something. Is this already implemented?

Use accerciser - buttons for example should come with a click action. Similar for radio buttons/check boxes etc.
With the Text Interface you can edit text ...
And when stuff in Qt apps doesn't work, yell at me ;)
The action interface is something I haven't payed much attention to since it seemed almost completely unused.
In Qt 4 we have a bit of a mess also since we implement the MSAA actions and the IA2 ones. But sometimes only one or the other...

> And last but not least: What is the best way to find out if an object is
> currently being shown to user (to disable everything else)?

By checking the state - and using accerciser to figure this out.
Visible and showing states is what you are looking for I guess.

> Best regards,
> Peter
>
> Ps.: I hope it's okay to use the kde-accessibility mailing list for this but I
> thought this might be interesting others as well...

Works for me.

Keep rocking!

Cheers,
Frederik