[Kde-accessibility] No "show keyboard status" indicator in KDE4

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon May 11 10:26:41 CEST 2009

2009/5/11 Peter Grasch <grasch at simon-listens.org>:
> Hello!
>
> Wasn't Aaron Seigo working on this (http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/04/more-
> on-keyboard-status.html)?
>
> Seems like the hard bits are already worked out...
>
> I'd contact Aaron Seigo (aseigo at kde.org). I don't know if he is reading this
> mailing list...

I didn't see that post but I remember an earlier post in which Aaron
mentioned that he is working on the plasmoid because nobody else is
and it fell on him. I did consider contacting Aaron directly, however
this is a much wider issue. That is why I've written to this list,
which appears to me to be the body which handles these issues in KDE.

I very much appreciate Aaron's work and I've told him that in the
past. I am glad to see his work on the plasmoid which nobody else
seems willing to. I do not want to come off unappreciative, because I
am appreciative, but those people which developers like to call
"users" are not so free to get up and leave when things don't suit us.
I have a lot of time and effort invested in KDE, even if I did not
help code it, and switching desktops is to me a bigger issue than
switching operating systems (KDE runs on Windows now and I am
seriously considering switching to Windows with KDE). We come to
depend on our desktops to function either in a specific fashion or to
provide any specific feature. This is where much of the frustration at
KDE 4 seems to stem from: KDE 3 power users who are missing features
in KDE 4. But even worse, is when a critical feature is added, then
removed. This lures the user away from his
unsupported-but-still-working KDE 3 into KDE 4 (a switch that is
generally irreversible due to different types of configurations of
both KDE itself and critical applications), and then leaves him
without the feature that he depends upon.

By the way, google me on lists like the Kubuntu list, the KDE3-jaunty
list, and other mailing lists to see how many people that I've helped
tell me what is missing for _them_ in KDE 4 and have filed feature
requests or bugs. I have done a lot of work to prevent these
situations for tens of people.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com