[Kde-accessibility] One more time, make XKB behavior the same for Windoze and Linux

rampsonc at comcast.net rampsonc at comcast.net
Tue Nov 13 16:29:48 CET 2007

Here is the problem in a nutshell:

To use AccessX (aka XKB) - specifically the Mousekeys, you need to activate them via Shift+Alt+Numlock. This works the same on both OSes. On WINDOZE, you can "toggle" between mousekeys and "standard" keypad keys by turning the NumLock key on and off. THIS IS CRITICAL for handicapped people to PLAY GAMES ON THE PC. Try playing ANY games that utilize movement mode and attack mode  - by hitting a 3 key combo, and I'll bet you get discouraged and stop playing. Not only that, but a single finger typer (like my best friend), has NO CHANCE of re-activating XKB after the whole thing is deactivated (because of the critical sticky keys being deactivated too) - it's a one way trip.

If your goal is to have THE BEST keyboard controller for handicapped people, XKB falls critically short today. I really hate having to recommend WINDOZE to handicapped people who want to play a game once in a while. Why can't SOMEONE come up with a workable (NumLock toggle) solution for Linux?

--
Chris Rampson