[Kde-accessibility] Another speech engine for KTTS?

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Wed Feb 8 12:10:59 CET 2006

Hi Jonathan!

Thanks for contacting us about the new speech engine. My sound card is
currently broken, but I will test it as soon as I have fixed it again.

You say that the support for German is just prove-of-concept, but we currently
don't have a free (as in speech) speech engine for German, so it is
definitely useful to have a look at it. I can bring you in contact with Klaus
Knopper, who plans to work on a free software solution for German speech
synthesis.

> If you think the engine is useful, I'll make the source code available
> under GPL.

Yes, having it available under the GPL would help a lot. This would make it
easier to give it to more people for testing if you are interested.

On February 25/26, we will do a usability testing of KDE Accessibility in
German. Having the source beforehand would be great.

> Thanks for the information.
> Producing a WAV output file with a -w argument should be simple enough.

Great!

> BTW I've just noticed that it's not recognising accented characters in
> German.  Perhaps a signed/unsigned character problem.  I'll try and fix
> that too (not that the German should be taken seriously though).

Sound like an encoding issue. Can your speech engine accept UTF-8 input? This
would really be useful, especially for languages with a non-Latin alphabet.
Festival has problems in this regard as well.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of