[Kde-accessibility] KMagnifier patches

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Tue May 11 18:26:46 CEST 2004

Hi!

Here are two patches that solve usability and accessibility bugs in
KMagnifier. This still needs a bit of extra work and more changes, but I
want to have an OK before implementing those extra changes.

kmag.zoomview.patch:

1. It is now possible to completely use the application via keyboard by
using the arrow keys for moving the selection window and [Crtl]+Arrows
keys for resizing it.

2. Whenever the selection window size is bigger than the area shown in the
main KMagnifier window, there was no indication to the user that the
magnified area is bigger than what is shown. This is now solved by
showing scrollbars.

kmag.selectionwindow.patch:

3. The selection window is now resizable and draggable with the mouse,
which is far easier than doing this via [Crtl]+click into the main
KMagnifier window.

4. The selection window is now always on top of the KMagnifer window, and
it does not appear in the window list any more, so it cannot steal key
presses.

Still TODO:

- - If "Always Fit to Window" or "Follow Mouse" are activated, dragging or
resizing the selection window should not be possible.

- - If only part of the selection window is shown, only the shown part of
the selection window needs to be magnified. This will greatly improve the
speed but needs some bigger changes.

- - If "Follow Mouse" is activated and the selection window is bigger than
the main window, the mouse cursor can move out of the currently shown
part of the magnified area. Automatically moving the shown part to where
the mouse pointer is is impossible if we have scrollbars, but not having
scrollbars is even worse from a usability point of view.
Another problem is that resizing of the selection window is impossible if
the window follows the mouse. For these two reasons I am convinced that
"Follow Mouse" should imply "Always Fit Window" from a usaibility point
of view.

To make the interface simpler and more usable, I suggest replacing the
three options "Follow Mouse", "Show Selection window" and "Always Fit
Window" with three modes:

a) "Follow Mouse Mode": follow mouse, always fit window, no scrollbars, no
selection window

b) "Selection Window Mode": resizable and draggable selection window, show
scrollbars, don't automatically fit window, don't follow mouse

c) "Whole Screen Mode": the selection area is the whole screen, show
scrollbars, don't follow mouse, no selection window

We could also add two other modes, but I believe they are not really
needed and would be rather confusing to the users:

d) "Follow Mouse Mode (Show selection area)": follow mouse, selection
window that cannot be resized or dragged, always fit window, no
scrollbars

e) "Hidden Selection Window Mode": show scrollbars, don't automatically
fit window, no selection window, don't follow mouse

Is it OK do go ahead with these ideas?

Olaf

- --
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility Project
KDEAP co-maintainer, maintainer of http://accessibility.kde.org