[Kde-accessibility] Re: [Kwin] Size of window borders

Gunnar Schmi Dt gunnar at schmi-dt.de
Tue Sep 16 16:03:20 CEST 2003

Hello,

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 14:17, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 of September 2003 13:48, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > >  Agreed. Moreover, I expect that most decorations will implement only
> > > few sizes at most anyway, as they use pre-made pixmaps for the
> > > decoration buttons, and I don't think their developers will bother with
> > > scaling them to 10 different sizes.
> >
> > This "agreed" belongs to which statement?
>
>  To the paragraph is left above.

I asked because that paragraph was a statement about what was decided in the
last thread, so that was nothing to agree about ;-)

> > >  Currently, there are these options: BorderTiny, BorderNormal,
> > > BorderLarge, BorderVeryLarge, BorderHuge. It's up to the decoration to
> > > decide what this means in terms of pixel sizes, it's only said that
> > > BorderNormal is the normal size. I can add more values, if you want
> > > (and suggest names for them), but I personally doubt having 10 levels
> > > makes sense.
> >
> > What about:
> > Tiny (3 pixels)
> > Small (5 pixels)
> > Medium (8 pixels)
> > Large (12 pixels)
> > Very Large (17 pixels)
> > Huge (23 pixels)
> > Very Huge (30 pixels)
> > Oversized (38 pixels)
>
>  Well, I can add those 3 more possibilities if you think it makes sense (as
> I already said, I expect most decorations not to support so many different
> sizes, so this would be IMO only for the decorations where the developer
> will bother will all the required scalling).

Well, I replaced "Normal" by "Small" and "Medium" and added the largest two.

Concerning the number of the sizes: If the style is painted with painting
lines (or boxes), it should be no extra work to add more sizes. If the style
is composed of pixmaps we could request the style author to create a pixmap
for the largest size and scale them down to the requested size.

>  I have two questions though:
> - To which size are those pixel values supposed to refer? Are those pixel
> sizes supposed to be width of left/right borders? In which case current
> decorations mostly have Tiny borders, which probably isn't right. Or is it
> supposed to be the titlebar? In which case current decorations have roughly
> VeryLarge borders, which I think isn't right either.

If I saw it correctly there was a four pixel wide border in KDE 3.1 (in most
of the styles the fourth pixel is simply a black line). In this sense the
sizes are thought to be for the left/right borders. Maybe we could modify the
recommendations to 2,3,5,8,12,18,26,38 if we don't count that black line.

> - Second question is actually closely related to the first one: Which
> setting should be the default one, i.e. the size decorations have now?

I renamed the Normal size into Middle as that size will not be the default
one. I thought that the Small setting should be the standard size.

Gunnar Schmi Dt
- --
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of the kdeaccessibility package
http://accessibility.kde.org/