[Kde-accessibility] Middle-Mouse Button Functionality

Jamethiel Knorth jamethknorth at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 1 11:35:38 CET 2003

Currently, the middle-mouse button doesn't do much. This alone isn't a good
reason to have it do something, but there is a very good thing for it to do:
supply help.

Currently, the middle-mouse button does only a few things:
1 - Paste text in a text field
2 - Open a link in a new tab/window
3 - Configurable functionality in the taskbar (I believe it defaults to
iconify/restore but not maximize)
4 - Open a pasted URL

My suggestion is that the middle mouse button, unless defined to do
otherwise, should be to display any extended tool-tips (the What's This?
help).

I think this is useful to new users and power-users alike doesn't break
existing functionality. Currently, the middle-mouse button only does
something in places where it wouldn't often display a tool-tip, such as most
text boxes.

This could also be useful for displaying meta-data and larger previews and
so-such in Konqueror and similar applications. In general, I think this
could be of use in most every program I use.

Note: If this post looks familiar, it's because I've posted similarly on
other lists before. It usually gets a positive response, but doesn't go
anywhere. It was recommended that KDE-Accessibility was likely the best
place to post it, so I'm suggesting this again.