[Kde-accessibility] Re: mmb pasting in Konqueror

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Sat May 17 21:23:41 CEST 2003

On Saturday 17 May 2003 15:48, Datschge wrote:
> Am Samstag 17 Mai 2003 10:52 schrieb John Levon:
> > > I disagree. It does indeed paste, it pastes the selection buffer to the
> > > Kurl interpreter which then decides which kioslave to use, and, if none
> > > fitting is found, sending the selection buffer to google instead.
> >
> > Guess how much the user sees of this process. That's right, none. What
> > the user sees is a mouse press causing a page to be loaded. Therefore,
> > it's not pasting from the user's point of view, and the user is what
> > counts here not kinternalwhatever.
>
> That isn't exactly true either. What the users can see is that the location
> bar contains the formerly pasted and now progressed selection buffer.

You mean, users that understand and use MMB C'n'P, *might* understand what is
going on, but you need to remember that most people (in general and KDE
users) don't come from a Tradional *NIX/X11 background and probably don't use
MMB C'n'P. (KDE developers do not represent the users).

Now, what's more likely to happen is that your average user (that uses/expects
C'n'P to work the same as basically every GUI system *except* *NIX/X11), will
be using Konq and will have no idea why sometimes Konq goes to another page
when they use the mousewheel or miss a MMB link click, when most of the time
nothing happens. (The difference being the content of the (invisible)
clipboard. How are most people meant to be able work out the relationship
between the contents of the clipboard and MMB in Konq?).

Besides, changing MMB in Konq to automatically do a google search would total
bitch mouse wheel scrolling.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/