[Kde-accessibility] kded, autoload ? load on demand ?

Bill Haneman bill.haneman@sun.com
28 Feb 2003 17:03:43 +0000

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 16:47, Pupeno wrote:

> On Friday 28 February 2003 11:24, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > KDE-app : kttsd : gnome-speech : gnome-speech-driver : TTS engine
> I have to correct this a bit to explain what I think, it should be:
> KDE-app : kttsd : kttsd-driver: gnome-speech : gnome-speech-driver : TTS
> engine

I meant
 KDE-app :
    kttsd :
      gnome-speech-backend :
        gnome-speech :
          gnome-speech-driver :
                TTS engine

but that's getting very long.

THus the word "backend" means a special driver for one TTS architecture
which loads the other service as its implementation, in other words an
adapter or plugin.

I think we are in agreement about the ideas if not the terminology :-)

> The kttsd-driver there would be in charge of loading gnome-speech (I don't
> know how that's done) and comunicating to it.
>
> > KDE-app : kttsd : kttsd-driver : TTS engine
> > gnome-app : gnome-speech : kttsd-backend : kttsd-driver : TTS engine
> Here, it is the same:
> gnome-app : gnome-speech : gnome-speech-driver : kttsd-backend : kttsd-driver
> : TTS engine
> where the gnome-speech-driver would be in charge of loading kttsd (that is,
> just requesting it).

yes

> > gnome-app : gnome-speech : gnome-speech-driver : TTS engine
> >
> > The second and fourth stacks are the
> > "apps using their 'native' TTS framework", and the first and third
> > stacks are
> > "apps using their 'native TTS API' to speak to alternative back-end".
> >
> > IN both cases it actually doesn't matter so much whether GNOME or
> > the KDE desktop is running, in order to bridge between application types
> > in these cases, *both* TTS frameworks must be loaded and active.
> >
> > That's one reason why I was hoping we would not have kttsd *and*
> > gnome-speech as separate things, since in order to interoperate, both
> > frameworks will have to be loaded and active.

> Yes, I gave to this a lot of thought.
> To acomplish this we would need a generic core... on one side, interfaces to
> the TTSs and on the other side, interfaces to the desktops or more since
> text-only applications could use this too.
> If you're intrested in this we could start trying to find a model to suit all
> our needs, including that the features of kttsd and gnome-speech are very
> diferent.

I think it's worth discussing, anyhow.  What are the goals/feature-list
for kttsd?

-Bill