[Kalzium] Porting kalzium to external Avogadro

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus at cryos.org
Sat Apr 17 18:45:13 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 13 April 2010 13:04:46 Pino Toscano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alle domenica 11 aprile 2010, Marcus D. Hanwell ha scritto:
> > So I committed some updates to Kalzium to use the external Avogadro.
> >
> >  This seems to work great here. There is a tiny update I will try to
> >  push into 1.0.1 to make the bond ordering work correctly, other than
> >  that I would appreciate feedback.
>
> Thanks!
>
> I just have two issues:
> - no plugins detected: I "workaround" by "export
> AVOGADRO_PLUGINS=/usr/lib/avogadro/1_0", but the avogadro application
> compiled from the same source (the Debian packages I use) works without
> it, and it seems it does not do any custom loading...
> - crash at destruction phase of the GL widget, see the attached reduced
> backtrace; unfortunately, it doesn't say much without the avogadro debug
> symbols
>
> Do you have an idea about those?

Avogadro searches for its plugins relative to the binary, which means that the
whole thing can be relocated. In the case of Kalzium this breaks down though,
as it may not be installed in the same relative position as the binary. If
both kalziuma and avogadro were in /usr/local/bin, then the plugins would be
found correctly for example.

The crash may well be due to some of the logic around the Python threading
code. I will look into this, as it never seemed robust enough to me. I often
build and test with Python disabled, but will be certain to test things out
with Python enabled too. The Python threading was added later to facilitate
multithreaded Python code (I think - not certain on that as it was a while
back).

> > Apologies for the commit message - was half finished and I tapped
> >
> >  enter, and the commit went through before I could stop it. I was
> >  hoping to add in some more detail... Thanks to Pino for the initial
> >  patch, sorry it took me so long. Still working on setting aside more
> >  time for KDE.
>
> No problem, the important part was there :)

Good, although I wish it was git and I could have edited the commit message
before pushing it ;-)

> > I certainly want to see Kalzium, and KDE chemistry apps, grow and
> >
> >  flourish. Please let me know if you spot any issues with the changes
> >  I have made.
>
> I applied few changes related to the opengl detection/usage (no more
> needed) and added few more checks for avogadro, so it builds correctly
> (confirmed by other people on IRC) also without it.

I saw, and as Avogadro checks for OpenGL (and uses it) then that should be
fine. There is no OpenGL code in Kalzium, and I had intended to take another
pass once people had confirmed things were building properly.

Marcus