[Kalzium] Molecular Viewer Bug

Benoit Jacob jacob at math.jussieu.fr
Fri Aug 24 23:59:07 CEST 2007

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Johannes Simon wrote:
> fine. But I think we should fix this bug even if it won't matter in 4.1
> anymore, as it will be shipped with the first release of KDE 4.

Sure !

>> 3) disable all kind of 3D acceleration, to test whether it's a driver
>> issue.
> Since the "vesa" driver doesn't work for my ATI graphics card, I used
> the "radeon" driver instead,
> which didn't change anything. Normally I use the latest "fglrx" driver.

Ok, that's already interesting, but not 100% conclusive that it's not a
driver issue. Actually, my feeling is that you're hitting a DRI issue with
your recent ATI card. Since you're using ubuntu 7.04 like me, here's the
exact name of the software-only Mesa package, which I got wrong in my
previous mail:

libgl1-mesa-swx11

So please install it and rerun Kalzium! (there should be no need to
rebuild; to double check that the software renderer is being used, run:
glxinfo | grep renderer
and it should not mention Mesa and nothing ATI-specific.

Another thing that you can try, and which should give equivalent results,
is to comment out the line
 	Load "dri"
in your xorg.conf.

>> If you're
>> looking for a job in the 3D-part of Kalzium, then you're really more
>> interested in contributing in (lib)Avogadro than in kalzium.
> For now, I'm more interested in Kalzium development, even if those two
> projects overlap, but I might take a look at libavogadro itself in the
> near future ;)

OK, sure :) there sure is a lot interesting stuff to hack on in Kalzium,
not just the 3D stuff.

Cheers,
Benoit