[Inqlude] [GSoC 2016] Improve categorization and search on Inqlude web site

Nanduni Nimalsiri nanduni.12 at cse.mrt.ac.lk
Wed Mar 16 22:46:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

I was able to look into the site locally using 'inqlude view' and thank you
for the guidance.

I read your documentation on "I will travel... My story of Stanford's HCI
class". I felt very very interesting about that procedure which you
followed in designing the 'I will travel' website. Now I clearly understand
your intention of motivating me to focus more on design thinking to get
started with the project. After going through the resources which you
mentioned, I felt that the major part of the project task lies in the part
of designing.

I have known HCI as a design discipline which design interventions for
systems involving people and technology. When I googled it, I found these
words from Terry Winograd : "*HCI is the kind of discipline which is
neither the study of humans, nor the study of technology, but rather the
bridging between the two*", yet I suppose that I have many more things to
learn on HCI. In our university, we will be having a module on HCI during
my next semester which starts from April, so I am glad that it will teach
me many more things to complete this project successfully.

I really like the idea of design thinking and I would like to incorporate
this project with *Product Design Sprint. *I feel that the success of this
project lies on the completeness of different stages such as need-finding,
prototyping, designing and testing of the user interfaces, because this is
a project which mainly focus on offering a good user experience.

So I thought of allocating an adequate amount of time for the following
tasks.

   - Need Finding
   - Prototyping
   - Start Building prototypes
   - Ready for Testing
   - User Testing
   - Finalizing Prototype

*I have nine days left before the deadline for submitting the project
proposal. I won't be able to finish these tasks successfully if I am to do
them in a hurry within these few days. So I thought of including in my
proposal the approach that I have taken towards implementing these tasks
and how I am going to implement these tasks during the project period. *

For eg:
*      Need Finding*
      You have explained that there are three options (glance, change,
time) of design briefs that design projects could take on. I     suppose
'time' design brief matches this project task since it is a matter of
redesigning.

      *Prototyping*
      I would be using storyboards and prototypes.

*      Start building*
      I will come up with design heuristics, feed backs and evaluation.
Here I will be focusing on Nielsen’s list of heuristics in his book
Usability Engineering and Shnedierman and Plaisant’s list of golden rules
in Designing the User Interfaces.
      Further I will be creating implementation plans.

*       Ready for testing*
       Develop evaluation plans to evaluate both design and
implementation, test usability and functionality of system. Evaluate using
cognitive walkthrough, review-based evaluation, evaluating through user
participation etc.

I thought of including details about these approaches in my project
proposal like what's my plan, what will be the deliverable for each stage,
what will be the procedure for implementation of each stage etc. I also
came across with some concerns called *personas and scenarios* which will
be useful for designing good user interfaces. I thought of including them
as well in my proposal.

After going through your story with 'I will travel..', I felt very
interesting about that way of designing. At university, we are normally
used to do projects using 'Unified Process Model', so I am very eager to
try out this approach for designing phase.

I would like to know if you are expecting me to complete this design
process before proposal submission or if you are expecting me to come up
with a plan of how I am going to implement this process. What are your
suggestions on this? I am happy to hear your comments.

Best regards,
Nanduni.

email : nanduni.12 at cse.mrt.ac.lk, nanduni at wso2.com