[Inqlude] [GSoC 2016] Improve categorization and search on Inqlude web site

Nanduni Nimalsiri nanduni.12 at cse.mrt.ac.lk
Tue Mar 8 08:45:44 UTC 2016

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for the reply. I was eagerly waiting for a reply as I
am very interested in this task. I have some experiences of using Ruby when
I was working with Kuberntes and Cloud Foundry stuff, but I need to polish
further. I have already been following the tutorialspoint
<http://www.tutorialspoint.com/ruby/> lessons on Ruby. As you have
suggested, I started learning Ruby through some online video tutorials
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I539U5lXWY&list=PLMK2xMz5H5Zv8eC8b4K6tMaE1-Z9FgSOp>
by Jake
Day Williams.

Thank you for the clarifications on $subject. I suppose that this project
would be able to provide solutions for the following issues in
cornelius/inqlude <https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude> github repo.

#27 List libraries per license
<https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude/issues/27>
#26 List libraries per platform
<https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude/issues/26>
#22 Show latest releases on web page
<https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude/issues/22>
# <https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude/issues/19>19 Align summaries on
development page vertically <https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude/issues/19>
#20 Show Qt5 compability <https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude/issues/20>
#18 Check platform attribute for valid entries
<https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude/issues/18>
#7Add bugtracker URL <https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude/issues/7>
#6 Make layout responsive <https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude/issues/6>

In order to make responsive layouts, I have several suggestions.
1. Use frameworks like* W3.CSS *which is  free to use and no license
necessary.
2. Set a meta view port tag, create a flexible layout / fluid grid, use
media queries in CSS file

Do you have any better suggestions on this?

I would also like to know some means to host this website so that I can
share my designs with the you and the developers. Can I use something
like OpenShift or do you have better suggestions? As an initial step, I can
also come up with some mockups.

I would be very glad if you would help me to clarify these doubts, so that
I can come up with a better project proposal. Thank you.

Beast regards,
Nanduni.

On 8 March 2016 at 12:20, Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi Nanduni,
>
> On Monday 07 March 2016 20:18:49 Nanduni Nimalsiri wrote:
> >
> > I am *Nanduni Nimalsiri*, a third year undergraduate at Department of
> > Computer Science and Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I
> > would like to take part in GSOC Programme 2016 with KDE Community.
> Actually
> > I am very interested in contributing to open source projects and I
> already
> > have experiences in working with a variety of open source projects. I
> > suppose that I am not too late to start working on this project. I am a
> > quick learner and I am very confident that I would be able to catch up
> > things very soon.
>
> Welcome. It's great that you are interested in this project.
>
> > Actually I have studied the flow of Inqlude web site by now. I have
> several
> > suggestions to improve its user experience. Meanwhile, I roughly went
> > through [1],[2] repos to get familiar with Inqlude functionalities. I
> > suppose that [2] is the repo which I need to work with.
>
> That's correct.
>
> > I have some doubts to clarify regarding this project. README.md of [2]
> > mentions "There also is an option to generate an HTML overview of all
> > available libraries. This can be hosted or used locally." Can you please
> > explain me what this is? Does this mean the Inqlude web site?
>
> Yes. The inqlude command line client has a sub command "view" which
> generates
> the web site as static HTML. This can be browsed locally, and it's also
> what
> is published on inqlude.org.
>
> > I would also like to come up with improvements for web site interface. I
> > can even change the website to have a responsive look and feel. Can I
> > change the orientations and formattings of the UI widgets. I like UI
> stuff
> > and I would like to know your ideas. If I am not causing trouble, can you
> > please explain me more on this project and I would also like to know on
> how
> > I proceed. Thank you.
>
> Making the site responsive would also be great.
>
> When working on the UI I think it's important to follow some design process
> which includes testing the design and possible options and improve it
> based on
> feedback from (potential) users. One of these processes is design thinking.
>
> In terms of proceeding it might be a good idea to get some experience in
> Ruby,
> as this will be needed to work on the tool which generates the web site.
> There
> are many nice online trainings and sites with exercises available, which
> should help with that.
>
> --
> Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher at kde.org>

--
*Nanduni Nimalsiri*
Undergraduate, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University
of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
Software Engineering Intern, WSO2 Inc. (http://wso2.com)
email : nanduni.12 at cse.mrt.ac.lk, nanduni at wso2.com
blog : http://nanduni.blogspot.com/