[Inqlude] [GSoC 2016] Improve categorization and search on Inqlude web site

Nanduni Nimalsiri nanduni.12 at cse.mrt.ac.lk
Mon Mar 7 14:48:49 UTC 2016

Dear Sir,

I am *Nanduni Nimalsiri*, a third year undergraduate at Department of
Computer Science and Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I
would like to take part in GSOC Programme 2016 with KDE Community. Actually
I am very interested in contributing to open source projects and I already
have experiences in working with a variety of open source projects. I
suppose that I am not too late to start working on this project. I am a
quick learner and I am very confident that I would be able to catch up
things very soon.

I found several interesting projects in KDE Community Wiki that matches
with my interests. Actually my interest is to contribute to the
project : 2.16.2
Project: Improve categorization and search on Inqlude web site
<https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2016/Ideas#Project:_Improve_categorization_and_search_on_Inqlude_web_site>.
am familiar with HTML, CSS, Javascript, web designing etc. I have little
experience with using Ruby too. I wish to polish my knowledge on the
relevant areas within this period.

Actually I have studied the flow of Inqlude web site by now. I have several
suggestions to improve its user experience. Meanwhile, I roughly went
through [1],[2] repos to get familiar with Inqlude functionalities. I
suppose that [2] is the repo which I need to work with.

I have some doubts to clarify regarding this project. README.md of [2]
mentions "There also is an option to generate an HTML overview of all
available libraries. This can be hosted or used locally." Can you please
explain me what this is? Does this mean the Inqlude web site?

There are already search options for *Stable libraries | Development
versions | Unreleased | Commercial | All. *In terms of "*Improve
categorization and search*", I wish to add more search options for
categories such as licenses, platforms, dependencies on Qt versions or
other libraries. Can you please explain me what this means : "We also
should improve the search to be more tailored to the data collected on
Inqlude".

I would also like to come up with improvements for web site interface. I
can even change the website to have a responsive look and feel. Can I
change the orientations and formattings of the UI widgets. I like UI stuff
and I would like to know your ideas. If I am not causing trouble, can you
please explain me more on this project and I would also like to know on how
I proceed. Thank you.

[1] https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude-data
[2] https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude
<https://github.com/cornelius/inqlude>

Best regards,
Nanduni.

--
*Nanduni Nimalsiri*
Undergraduate, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University
email : nanduni.12 at cse.mrt.ac.lk, nanduni at wso2.com
blog : http://nanduni.blogspot.com/
website: http://nanduni-nimalsiri.branded.me/
mobile : +94714114256