SoK: Statistics and Achievements

Felix Rohrbach fxrh at gmx.de
Sun May 1 18:43:04 CEST 2011

Hello,

As you maybe already have read in the IRC channel, I will work on statistics
and acheivements for Gluon as part of the Season of KDE.

First, let me introduce myself: I'm Felix Rohrbach, 19 years old and from
Germany. I still go to school, but it will end in one month. After that, I'm
planning to study Mathematics or Computer Science, but before I have some free
months which I will use to work on gluon.

My project should add an easy way for developers to create statistics/scores.
These scores can then be used to define achievements, which will be shown to
the user and, as soon as libattica supports it, uploaded to OCS sites.

My current rough plan is to define scores and achievements with the gluon
definition language. They will appear in the project widget like materials.

There will be a component which can access a score via scripting. Maybe I can
also add some common used statistics as components, like for example a
component which will increase the score if the object is on a certain
position.

Scores will save the the statistics over game sessions. There will be several
options for scores, for example the possiblity to have some "current score"
which the components work with. If this current score is higher than the score
value, it will be used as score value. I could also add the option to save a
score date as well as the option to save multiple scores (like a highscore
where you can have several entries per user).

By default, only the highscore will be visible to the user. Achievements are
used to present this data to the user. They are based on scores, i.e. you
define an achievement like "score A needs to have at least value B to get this
achievement". I don't have any specific plans how to show these achievements to
the user yet, but I guess there is still much time until I will start working
on this part of my project, so I have much time to think about it :-)

As I said, these plans are still very rough as I didn't have a closer look on
the structure of the gluon source code, so these plans will change. But due to
exams there is still one month until I can really start working on Gluon and I
didn't want to let you wait this long :-)

I'm glad I can work on this project. Thanks again to my mentor, Dan Leinir,
and good luck to all other GSoC and Sok students!

Regards,
Felix