Using Opus codec for GCompris voice files

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Sun Jan 23 15:00:36 GMT 2022

Timothée Giet skreiv 23.01.2022 14:59:
> We use Ogg Vorbis files for both GNU/Linux and Android operating systems
> (and *BSDs). According to the "Operating system support" table on
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)  , it could be a
> problem especially for Android, where Opus gained partial support only
> since version 5, and with weird container/file extension limitations.
>
> So from what I see we should stay with Ogg Vorbis for now.

OK, thanks for the information. Then I‘ll use Ogg Vorbis. The sound
quality is acceptable; it’s only the file size that is doubled. But I‘ll
keep the original .wav files, so that I can easily recode to Opus in the
future, when support for very old Android versions is no longer
necessary (or possible).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer