Using Opus codec for GCompris voice files

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Sun Jan 23 12:43:03 GMT 2022

Hi,

I’m currently working on adding voice files for Norwegian Nynorsk to
GCompris. The documentation
(https://invent.kde.org/education/gcompris-data/-/blob/master/voices/HOWTO_ENCODE)
says to encode them using Ogg Vorbis. But I’m wondering if it’s possible
to use the Opus codec instead?

Opus is the successor to Vorbis, developed by the same guy, and uses
lower bitrate for the same quality. See
https://opus-codec.org/comparison/ for a comparison. For my voice files,
I can approximately *halve* the file size (compared to Vorbis, ‘oggenc
-q0 --downmix’) with ~no perceptible loss in quality (compared to the
*original* .wav file, and of course also to the Vorbis file).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer