[FreeNX-kNX] Problems setting up FreeNX

Eric Wessel EWessel at lakelandcc.edu
Thu Sep 25 12:41:36 UTC 2014

Thanks & Regards,

Eric Wessel
Linux Administrator
Administrative Technologies
Phone: 440-525-7589
ewessel at lakelandcc.edu

From:   freenx-knx-request at kde.org
To:     freenx-knx at kde.org
Date:   09/25/2014 08:01 AM
Subject:        FreeNX-kNX Digest, Vol 118, Issue 1
Sent by:        freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org

>> I have set up the freeNX server according to the directions at http:
>> //wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX but I still get errors (the package
>> nxproxy has superseded the nx pacakge, but I do have nxproxy
>> installed).  The errirs I am getting from the client are as follows:
>
>[SNIP]
>
>> NX> 105 /usr/bin/nxserver: line 1531: 19926 Terminated
>> sleep $AGENT_STARTUP_TIMEOUT
>

>nxnode is timing out waiting for nxagent to start . . .
>

>> NX> 596 Session startup failed.
>> NX> 1004 Error: NX Agent exited with exit status 1. To troubleshoot
>> set SESSION_LOG_CLEAN=0 in node.conf and investigate
>> "/home/my_user/.nx/F-C-server.myserver.
>> com-1000-256A676BA90372464A86954D73D54D4B/session". You might also
>> want to try: ssh -X myserver; /usr/bin/nxnode --agent to test the
>> basic functionality. Session log follows:
>> NX> 1006 Session status: closed
>> NX> 1009 Session status: starting
>> NX> 1009 Session status: starting
>
>Try
>
>        ssh -X myserver; /usr/bin/nxnode --agent
>
>as suggested,ell us wat happens

This is wjat I get with that command..

[root at server ~]# ssh -X localhost ; /usr/bin/nxnode --agent
root at localhost's password:
Last login: Thu Sep 25 08:21:15 2014 from localhost
[root at server ~]#

It then just sits there, not doing anything until I exit, then I get:

[root at server ~]# exit
logout
Connection to localhost closed.
NX> 1000 NXNODE - Version 3.2.0-74-SVN OS (GPL, using backend: not
detected)
NX> 716 Starting NX Agent ...

NXAGENT - Version 3.5.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2011 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Agent running with pid '1702'.
Session: Starting session at 'Thu Sep 25 08:23:05 2014'.
Error: Aborting session with 'Unable to open display '''.
Session: Aborting session at 'Thu Sep 25 08:23:05 2014'.
Session: Session aborted at 'Thu Sep 25 08:23:05 2014'.
NX> 716 NX Agent exited with status: 1
NX> 1001 Bye.
[root at server ~]#

>What is your distro ?? which NX rpms have you used ??

I am using CentOS 6.5.  The RPMs used are as follows:

[root at server ~]# yum info *nx | more
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
 * base: centos.mirrors.tds.net
 * epel: mirrors.liquidweb.com
 * extras: dist1.800hosting.com
 * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror.pw
 * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirror.pw
 * updates: centosq4.centos.org
Installed Packages
Name        : freenx
Arch        : i686
Version     : 0.7.3
Release     : 9.4.el6.centos
Size        : 295 k
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : extras
Summary     : Freenx application/thin-client server
URL         : http://freenx.berlios.de
License     : GPL
Description : Freenx is an application/thin-client server based on nx
            : technology. NoMachine nx is the next-generation X
compression and
            : roundtrip suppression scheme. It can operate remote X11
sessions
            : over 56k modem dialup links or anything better. This package
            : contains a free (GPL) implementation of the nxserver
component.

Name        : opennx
Arch        : i686
Version     : 0.16
Release     : 724.el6.centos.1
Size        : 2.8 M
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : extras
Summary     : An OpenSource NX client
URL         : http://sourceforge.net/projects/opennx
License     : LGPL/GPL
Description : opennx is an OSS replacement for Nomachine's NX client.

[Unrelated packages removed]

and

[root at server ~]# yum info nx*
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
 * base: centos.mirrors.tds.net
 * epel: mirrors.liquidweb.com
 * extras: dist1.800hosting.com
 * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror.pw
 * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirror.pw
 * updates: centosq4.centos.org
Installed Packages
Name        : nx-libs
Arch        : i686
Version     : 3.5.0.27
Release     : 1.el6
Size        : 30 k
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : epel
Summary     : NX X11 protocol compression libraries
URL         : http://x2go.org/
License     : GPLv2+
Description : NX is a software suite which implements very efficient
compression
            : of the X11 protocol. This increases performance when using X
            : applications over a network, especially a slow one.
            :
            : This package provides the core nx-X11 libraries customized
for
            : nxagent/x2goagent.

Name        : nxagent
Arch        : i686
Version     : 3.5.0.27
Release     : 1.el6
Size        : 4.4 M
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : epel
Summary     : NX agent
URL         : http://x2go.org/
License     : GPLv2+
Description : NX is a software suite which implements very efficient
compression
            : of the X11 protocol. This increases performance when using X
            : applications over a network, especially a slow one.
            :
            : nxagent is an agent providing NX transport of X sessions.
The
            : application is based on the well-known Xnest server.
nxagent, like
            : Xnest, is an X server for its own clients, and at the same
time,
            : an X client for a system's local X server.
            :
            : The main scope of nxagent is to eliminate X round-trips or
            : transform them into asynchronous replies. nxagent works
together
            : with nxproxy. nxproxy itself does not make any effort to
minimize
            : round-trips by itself, this is demanded of nxagent.
            :
            : Being an X server, nxagent is able to resolve all the
            : property/atoms related requests locally, ensuring that the
most
            : common source of round-trips are nearly reduced to zero.

Name        : nxproxy
Arch        : i686
Version     : 3.5.0.27
Release     : 1.el6
Size        : 4.1 k
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : epel
Summary     : NX proxy
URL         : http://x2go.org/
License     : GPLv2+
Description : This package provides the NX proxy (client) binary.

Available Packages
Name        : nx
Arch        : i686
Version     : 3.5.0
Release     : 2.1.el6.centos
Size        : 2.6 M
Repo        : extras
Summary     : Proxy system for X11
URL         : http://www.nomachine.com
License     : GPL, MIT/X11 for X11 bits
Description : NX provides a proxy system for the X Window System.

Name        : nx-libs-devel
Arch        : i686
Version     : 3.5.0.27
Release     : 1.el6
Size        : 37 k
Repo        : epel
Summary     : Include files and libraries for NX development
URL         : http://x2go.org/
License     : GPLv2+
Description : This package contains all necessary include files and
libraries
            : needed to develop X11 applications that require these.

Name        : nx-proto-devel
Arch        : i686
Version     : 3.5.0.27
Release     : 1.el6
Size        : 125 k
Repo        : epel
Summary     : Include files for NX development
URL         : http://x2go.org/
License     : GPLv2+
Description : This package contains all necessary include files and
libraries
            : needed to develop X11 applications that require these.

Name        : nxauth
Arch        : i686
Version     : 3.5.0.27
Release     : 1.el6
Size        : 19 k
Repo        : epel
Summary     : NX xauth
URL         : http://x2go.org/
License     : GPLv2+
Description : This package provides the NX xauth binary.

>[SNIP]
>
>If you have a complete installation
>and
>ran nxsetup
>then you may just have the timeout which can be fixed with a minor mod to
>nxnode
>
>If you persist with further attempted connections,
>does the nxclient finally connect after
>say
>
>        6 or 7 attempts ??

No, it never connects

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> [image removed]
>
> Eric Wessel
> Linux Administrator
> Administrative Technologies
> Phone: 440-525-7589
> ewessel at lakelandcc.edu

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx-knx/attachments/20140925/f6638fa7/attachment-0001.html

     Were you helped on this list with your FreeNX problem?
    Then please write up the solution in the FreeNX Wiki/FAQ:
  http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=FreeNX_FAQ