[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX with NoMachine 4.3 client

ctracy at adiemus.org ctracy at adiemus.org
Fri Oct 17 22:48:44 UTC 2014

> I think this shows that it's about time there was a decent free software
> NX client to go with FreeNX.
>
> I did some work on this alongside George Wright back in 2007/2008.
> Perhaps it's time to dust that work off and improve it.
>
> Look up nxcl (the NX client library) and qtnx (A QT implementation of a
> client UI).

 	FWIW, OpenNX (http://opennx.net) seems to work fine, with a few
caveats.  The latest release (0.16.0.729) crashes on Windows, but the
previous version (0.16.0.725) works fine.  Also, you need to install
XDarwin before using it on OS X.  But it does work.

 	In our case though, it was a non-starter as it provided no means
to specify a font server, which we need to support some of our
applications.  On Linux and OS X clients this can be worked around by
running 'xset fp <whatever>' before starting OpenNX from the terminal.
However, there's no way to accomplish that on Windows.

 	(We could have gone with OpenNX for our Linux/OS X clients and the
now-ancient-but-still-functional NoMachine version 3 client for Windows,
but that seemed too inelegant)

 	Sadly, it seems development on OpenNX is dead, but it is a fairly
complete/mature implementation of a version 3 NX client that works quite
well with FreeNX.

 	Chris