[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX-kNX WITHOUT Digest, Vol 115, Issue 6

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Wed May 14 15:25:47 UTC 2014

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 14/05/2014 14:17:05:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Sorry - I can’t resist the temptation to delete that log file - even
> though I know
> I shouldn’t!
>
> So the suggestion I read somewhere was to modify the freenx-server
> startup script that

yup - if you don't have /tmp/.X11-unix

[SNIP]

> this worries me slightly as it probably means that anyone on the machine
could
> kill a running session by getting in there and deleting a lock file

Hmmmm

Look up what happens when the sticky bit is set on a directory . . .

> So at the moment, following a reboot where the .X0-lock file was
regenerated,
> nxnode —agent fails as either a normal user or root with:

It fails because you are trying to use display :0 instead of :10

[SNIP]

> I didn’t need to chmod /tmp/.X11-unix as it’s already super permissive,
and
> seems to now be created this way on a boot.

Yup

> I’m guessing that my NoMachine session now won’t work (even for MATE),
let’s
> see:

Why ??? Its your ssh agent test session which won't work

> I was wrong! I can still start new sessions, even thought the nxnode
> —agent test fails.

. .  because you are trying to use :0 . . .

> If I now end that session and try to start lubuntu:
>
> I get a blank screen, and an eventual timeout with the message:
> (client side)
> > Ooops! The connection with the server was lost. Error is 60:
> Operation timed out.
>

> Setting the log level to debug (6), and emptying and recreating
> /var/log/nxserver.log, then trying
> to start a lubuntu session again puts this in the log:

> (client side)

Not much use - ther server tells you what's going on ( or not )

[SNIP]

> (nxserver.log)
> > -- NX SERVER START: -c /usr/lib/nx/nxserver - ORIG_COMMAND=
> > HELLO NXSERVER - Version 3.2.0-74-SVN OS (GPL, using backend: 3.5.0)
> > NX> 105 hello NXCLIENT - Version 3.2.0
> > NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 3.2.0
> > NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
> > NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
> > NX> 105 login

[SNIP]

> > NX> 999 Bye
> > NX> 1004 Error: NX Agent exited with exit status 1. To
> troubleshoot set SESSION_LOG_CLEAN=0 in node.conf and investigate
> "/var/tmp/XXX/.nx/F-C-
> YYY-2000-148C8435897469280F32FB12ED74B15A/session". You might also
> want to try: ssh -X myserver; /usr/lib/nx/nxnode --agent to test the
> basic functionality.

This looks like the time-out issue.

If you try 7 connection attempts in a row, does it start working  by no 7
????

[SNIP]

> This seems to be the natural order of things, since when I connect
> the 2nd time I always get the blank screen and timeout:

It looks to me like you don't connect the first time . . . .

[SNIP]

> (nxserver.log)
> > -- NX SERVER START: -c /usr/lib/nx/nxserver - ORIG_COMMAND=
> > HELLO NXSERVER - Version 3.2.0-74-SVN OS (GPL, using backend: 3.5.0)

[SNIP]

on the other hand this one looks like its running . . .

> > NX> 1006 Session status: running
> > server_nxnode_echo: NX> 710 Session status: running
> > server_nxnode_echo: NX> 1002 Commit
> > session_status 20790ADA0F8694A5376C4CEF290A4401 Running
> > NX> 105 server_nxnode_echo: NX> 1006 Session status: running
> > bye
> > Bye
> > NX> 999 Bye
> > NX> 1009 Session status: terminating
> > session_status 20790ADA0F8694A5376C4CEF290A4401 Terminating
> > server_nxnode_echo: NX> 1009 Session status: terminating
> > NX> 1006 Session status: closed
> > session_close 20790ADA0F8694A5376C4CEF290A4401
> > server_nxnode_echo: NX> 1006 Session status: closed
> > NX> 1001 Bye.
> > server_nxnode_echo: NX> 1001 Bye.
>
> FYI I can run Lubuntu on the console, so I don’t *think* it’s a
> problem with the installation
> on this machine…..

If you can do that then it isn't lubuntu.

Forget ssh nxnode tests

Forget the client logs

Reboot the NX server

Set NX server logging level 6 on

Try 7 or so connection stopping if it connects

Post the last lines from of each failed session out of the nx sever log

> And of course, starting a FreeNX Lubuntu session works absolutely
> fine on my other Ubuntu box. Grrrr.
>
> Both run 13.10. Nothing immediately obvious as to what’s different.
>
> Hmmmm
>
> Jon

[SNIP]

sending us all a copy of the daily digest was not particularly helpful . .
.