[FreeNX-kNX] okay this is really getting weird

Jonathan Brooks Jon.Brooks at bristol.ac.uk
Tue May 13 23:36:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

So bizarrely I can now start a gnome2 (i.e. MATE) session on this troublesome machine, but not lubuntu!?!?!

I am still convinced this is either something related to the user account, or potentially a permissions problem on /tmp/.X11-unix

I have read that the freenx-script needs to be hacked to replace the line which creates /tmp/.X11-unix with 1755 permissions to a more
permissive 1777

However I’ve not seen anything that suggests this folder should be owned by nx…..let me explain.

If I change the ownership of /tmp/.X11-unix to be user=nx, group=root I can then run:
/usr/lib/nx/nxnode —agent

and bingo, a blank screen appears on the client.

If I change the ownership back to root, were back to nxnode —agent just saying that it: Cannot establish any listening sockets etc
and nothing appears on the client.

This is reproducible across both of my ubuntu 13.10 machines, perhaps arguing against it being a user account problem.

So is there anything that I am missing that might account for why Gnome(ish) works, but lubuntu doesn’t?

Cheers, Jon

--
Jonathan Brooks (PhD) - Senior Research Fellow
CRiCBristol, University of Bristol, St Michael's Hill, Bristol, UK