[FreeNX-kNX] problems in Ubuntu Land

Jonathan Brooks Jon.Brooks at bristol.ac.uk
Fri May 9 13:44:07 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I’m having some “issues” getting FreeNX to work with Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander (daft name).

I’ve installed FreeNX according to the Ubuntu wiki, and then sorted out the stuff relating to SSH keys.
I’m able to connect to the server using SSH authentication, then get presented with the option to start
a new session. I select Gnome or KDE or CDE (configured to start lubuntu) and then I get
presented with a blank window with just a mouse. If I look on the server it appears that e.g. a gnome-session has
been started, but nothing ever appears on the NoMachine client window.

FYI I’m using NoMachine on a Mac (version 4.2.2_1) and I have been able to successfully connect to
a different Ubuntu server (running 12.04) with FreeNX, which also supports resuming (courtesy of Nick Couchman’s patch).

Based on some digging I saw the following suggestion:
login to the NX server (ssh -X blah)
run: /usr/lib/nx/nxnode —agent

If I do this I get the following:

> /usr/lib/nx/nxnode --agent
> NX> 1000 NXNODE - Version 3.2.0-74-SVN OS (GPL, using backend: 3.5.0)
> NX> 716 Starting NX Agent ...
> Error: Aborting session with 'Server is already active for display 0
> 	If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
> 	and start again'.
> Session: Aborting session at 'Thu May  8 14:02:10 2014'.
> Session: Session aborted at 'Thu May  8 14:02:10 2014'.
> NX> 716 NX Agent exited with status: 1
> NX> 1001 Bye.

So I removed (as root) /tmp/.X0-lock
then re-ran:

> /usr/lib/nx/nxnode --agent
> NX> 1000 NXNODE - Version 3.2.0-74-SVN OS (GPL, using backend: 3.5.0)
> NX> 716 Starting NX Agent ...
> _XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
> Error: Aborting session with 'Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running'.
> Session: Aborting session at 'Thu May  8 14:35:54 2014'.
> Session: Session aborted at 'Thu May  8 14:35:54 2014'.
> NX> 716 NX Agent exited with status: 1
> NX> 1001 Bye.

now I’m really lost….is my X installation broken, or is there something fundamentally wrong with this install?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Best wishes,

Jon
--
Jonathan Brooks (PhD) - Senior Research Fellow
CRiCBristol, University of Bristol, St Michael's Hill, Bristol, UK