[FreeNX-kNX] Ubuntu PPA Feedback

Ryan Tandy rtandy at sd63.bc.ca
Fri Feb 21 23:44:56 UTC 2014

This afternoon I've briefly tried freenx under trusty, and generally
reproduced your results.

Of course unity doesn't work, because of no composite under FreeNX. I
guess there's no way to get it to use software rendering, like a
physical system without working 3D does? I suppose that still depends on
composite support from the X server... and anyway, from what I've heard
from VirtualBox users it's not really usable.

On 14-02-21 04:49 AM, Marcelo Boveto Shima wrote:
> Right now gnome-fallback doesn’t work on trusty because of a requirement
> test.
> I removed the test and it started. I will try to figure out will they
> are requiring
> composite for the fallback. Maybe because they rely on compiz/unity for
> background.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/trusty/gnome-session/trusty/view/head:/gnome-session/main.c#L299

I think it's there because of gnome-shell, since fallback isn't
supported upstream any more. A conditional hack to skip it for certain
sessions might be OK. A real solution would be for the session file to
indicate whether or not acceleration is required but I doubt upstream
will be interested in that.

On the freenx-server Depends, I suggest removing "gnome-session" (now it
implies a gnome-shell session), and changing "gnome-session-fallback" to
"gnome-session-flashback" (following upstream's rename).

What does freenx-server use consolekit for, if it's installed? Is it
feasible to update it to use the systemd interfaces instead? Even though
consolekit is still in the archive I don't really expect to do anything
useful today for a GNOME (even fallback) or Unity session.

I can't put much time into this, but I'll play with it from time to time
when I can.

Ryan Tandy - Programmer/Analyst           rtandy at sd63.bc.ca
School District 63 (Saanich)                +1 250 652 7385