[FreeNX-kNX] Nomachine 4 out....

Marco Passerini marco.passerini at csc.fi
Thu Oct 17 12:45:27 UTC 2013

Hi,

Apparently the commercial version of Nomachine 4 is out. I installed the
new client for RHEL6 and the first impression was not good at all.

I would like to start saying that I have 2 NX servers which are used as
"bridges" to connect to other servers, so the users can't SSH into these
NX boxes, they cannot open local terminals and access local files, they
can just open terminals to other machines. This is done with a custom
Fluxbox/NX configuration. One of the servers has the FreeNX version, one
of the has the 3.5 commercial version.

So, everything worked fine with the old client but the new client does
not work well at all, I suggest other people to test it against your
installations.

* The GUI is a mess. Totally bad design.
* At the first login to the server with the 3.5 commercial server
version, I got a rootless terminal to the NX server itself, and I
couldn't see  the Fluxbox desktop at all. This is a security problem for
my setup.
* Then I opened Matlab, closed the session and when I logged it again
the image and resolution was totally messed up.
* I closed the session, opened it again, and this time I could see the
Fluxbox desktop as it was supposed to be!
* After this it always showed the Fluxbox desktop.
* Resizing the window does not work well, the image becomes "dirty" with
some strange lines and pixels which should not be there.
* Now when I log in it says that there's a guest connected to my
session, with my own username.
* I tried to connect with the new client to my old FreeNX servers, and
it didn't work at all, I'm not sure if it's because of my configuration
or because of some block they implemented to cut out the opensource version.
* I couldn't find

I will contact the Nomachine support about these issues, but I doubt
they will be able to fix these issues any soon.

Please share your experiences with the new client!

Marco