[FreeNX-kNX] NX disappears after starting

Chris chris at ccburton.com
Thu May 2 18:36:56 UTC 2013

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 02/05/2013 17:11:21:

> I can run Xnest  on the problem host

> The only real difference between the problem hosts and those that work
> is that the bad ones are servers (rack mounted Dells) whereas the
working
> ones are desktop dells but both have the same installation of fedora.
All
> have the same window managers installed and are running xdmcp broadcast.
>
> Also Hummingbird exceed works against the all these hosts so it doesn't
> quite sound like an X11 problem

nxagent is a separate X client  ( server in normal speak ) with its
own libraries
so
the fact that your "normal" X  works doesn't mean that nxagent
will work too . . .

It could be a number of things. Lets start with . . . .

> running custom config for xterm, I get the !M on the black background
> and an xterm on a working machine. On the problem hosts, I still get the
> !M on the black background then it disappears with no errors.

. . . . what's in the FreeNX log.

You may need to turn logging on in /etc/nxserver/node.conf

i.e.

        NX_LOG_LEVEL=6
        NX_LOG_SECURE=1
        NX_LOGFILE=/var/log/nxserver.log
        SESSION_LOG_CLEAN=0

also do
         sudo touch  /var/log/nxserver.log
        sudo chmod 777 /var/log/nxserver.log

Connect to xterm and gnome and send the logging.