[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX & NoMachine Player - Connection Issues

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Wed Jan 23 16:21:24 UTC 2013

>>> On 2013/01/22 at 07:32, <chris at ccburton.com> wrote:
> freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 21/01/2013 22:29:20:
>

>> Just a quick follow-up on this - I looked for segfault messages but
>> I'm not seeing any, so I'm not sure what's going on there.
>

> You aren't be seeing those segfaults
>         (caused by  the rendering issue, AFTER connecting OK)
> because you aren't up to Opensuse 12.2 yet where the libraries
> changed . . .
>
> You appeared to be getting problems starting nxagent, but I don't
> see them on Opensuse 12.2 . . .

Sorry, I might have created some confusion.  My client system is running openSuSE 12.2, the server-side is 12.1.  I'm pretty sure the segfaults were client-side, correct?  So, I should be seeing them...

> If your 12.1 sessions work OK with other clients or with xterm
> then it's not likely to be a major server issue.
>
> If nxplayer works with other servers then it's not likely to be a
> major issue with nxplayer.

Which makes it a ???? issue?

> If you want a fix for nxplayer against 12.1 then you will need
> to pin down the issue more closely
> but
> as nonmachine seem to lag a bit behind OpenSuse you
> may find it just that the client needs a refresh compilation
> with the latest libraries.

Something that I'm guessing on NoMachine can do, which means I'll just have to wait for them.

> As nomachine haven't got round to it yet
>         (they're more concerned with V4 for obvious reasons)
> you may find in the end that you have to switch clients anyway.

Yeah...

> This is what I've had to do with
>          12.2 from Windows,
> even tho' the bug has been current with nomachine
> since November, so obviously they have other pressing priorities . .
>

>>  However,
>> I tried OpenNX on my Mac here at the Office today, and it seems to
>> work very reliably.  I need to fire up a Linux and Windows system
>> here and try out various clients and see what I can get to work
>> and/or fail.
>
>> Signs are pointing more toward the client at this
>> point, but I still cannot seem to get any valuable error messages
>> (especially on the client side) that tell me where the issue is.
>

> My suspicions were aroused by some of the error messages
> you reported and your-
>
>   "First, we've tried OpenNX and not been
>          overly successful getting it running."
>
> I guess you tried an earlier version . . .
>
> but
> if any client works OK then it's not likely there is a sever
> bug to find, (unless say only an older client works) . . .

I'll keep testing...

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.