[FreeNX-kNX] Seamless / rootless session, allowing only certain application to start.

Kopra, Tom (NSN - FI/Espoo) tom.kopra at nsn.com
Wed Jan 23 12:44:22 UTC 2013

Hi and sorry if this has been asked before.

I am having trouble finding the needed information online anywhere.

NX version:
NX> 1000 NXNODE - Version 3.2.0-74-SVN OS (GPL, using backend: 3.3.0)

I have a need to do two things. (in FreeNX or commercial NX server)

1.	Force an application to be started on session start  with no
desktop (this I have partly  got working by using the
NODE_AUTOSTART="/usr/bin/firefox" setting in node.cfg
(Not without desktop showing however) it seems the
ENABLE_ROOTLESS_MODE="1" does not function as I had thought it would.

2.	Only allowing this application to be launched, all other NX
client configured commands should be overridden so that this one
application starts.

So in short, I want the user to be presented with a login application
when they are logged on through the NX server, also I want the desktop
to be hidden and not usable for the end user.

I have not found any working way to do this, some information I found
about nxacl that I could not get working in our FreeNX so far.
I was also not able to do this in the Commercial NX server.

Has anyone tried something like this and got it working.
I would be grateful for any hints.

Regards,

Tom