[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX & NoMachine Player - Connection Issues

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Mon Jan 21 13:12:44 UTC 2013

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 20/01/2013 23:46:53:

> > Maybe, but agent also runs when you run xterm which you say works
every
> > time . .
>
> ...which indicates to me that it's some sort of timing issue - that
> xterm is a very simple request for nxagent to start, and that
> something about the window manager is either timing out or causing
> nxagent to crash or something similar.

It doesn't work like that. The "simple" (quick to launch)  request is
more likely to time-out.

i.e. (you can try this)
nxagent is spawned with a display parameter for it to listen on
eg
         nxagent :2020
then xterm is spawned from another shell, with :2020 as its display
eg
        DISPLAY=:2020   xterm

If nxagent hasn't started properly within xterm's timeout and provided the
display
e.g. it hasn't had time to load all its libraries
then
xterm (or whatever) gives up and the session is closed.

If this is the case I would expect that once you had a running KDE session
closing it and immediatly starting another connection should give you
running sessions from then on,
which is why I asked about that.

see just below

Try this if you have time - but
use kde cos I'm more familiar with that and I don't need specific
xfce errors confusing the issue . . .

[SNIP]

> Thanks - Nick

Also would you zip over a copy of your /usr/bin/nxnode
and
say which FreeNX rpm you installed (they're all a bit different)