[FreeNX-kNX] Black Screen with Mouse Cursor After Successful Auth

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Sun Jan 6 11:26:24 UTC 2013

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 05/01/2013 07:51:04:

> Also, the windows are only unmovable in a freenx session.

 Sounds like your window manager is not starting correctly.

Try this again, get a terminal session and enter

        metacity &

and see what happens,

> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM, OwN-3m-All <own3mall at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am able to SSH using Putty with the old account just fine.  I just

Try ssh-ing  with the

           -X

parameter, then tru xterm, gome ( BUT don't run this over a slow link)

> tried the xterm command.  Freenx claimed to have established the
> display, but then immediately crashed with nothing on my screen.

Hmmm

Actually . .

        are you sure xterm is installed  ???

> So, yes, I am able to login locally to both gnome and terminal with
> that user account.  Freenx just won't work anymore for that user
> since the crash, and I have no idea why.  Also, for the new user I
> created, I am able to get in with freenx and see a desktop, but my
> gnome windows are unmovable and fixed on the screen?   I'm guessing

see above

> I'll need to get X Windows and gnome working properly before freenx
> works like it used to?  Surely someone has seen something like this
> before though?

Get FreeNX / Gnome working fully with a NEW account FIRST.

> I've never seen a Linux machine pwn itself when rebooting until my
> server crashed and messed this all up...

Lucky you

Probably it was not Linux tho'.

Here is my ordered list of most common machine trashing issues FWIW

Using MS windows
Odd (stuff in) config file(s)
brownout (eg. power lead not in correctly)
bad or unseated memory
sticking disk arm
"Iiffy" data lead to disc
Tea / coffee / orange juice in the electronics

Let us know how you get on !!!