[FreeNX-kNX] Black Screen with Mouse Cursor After Successful Auth

OwN-3m-All own3mall at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 05:32:08 UTC 2013

Hi All,

My server crashed over the weekend, and I had to clean up the mess left
behind by Xorg and X Server.  Needless to say, I finally got X working
again, but now, I'm unable to login via freenx using my typical user
account.  When I do login, the authentication is successful, and I'm just
left with a black screen with a mouse cursor.  I know X is running, as the
process ID shows up.  So, to start, I deleted all gnome cache, deleted all
sessions, restarted the nxserver and freenx-server service, and deleted
stuff in the /tmp/user-orbit folder.  None of that helped.  What's weird is
that I created a new user, added the user to the allowed SSH list, and
tried connecting using the same settings.  With the new user, I can get in
and see my gnome desktop.  I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.  I've looked at
countless forum posts where others have had the same problem and tried
everything.  Nothing has fixed it for the main user account.  I have
logging enabled in the nxserver, and no errors are reported in the
nxserver.log or in the session cache files themselves.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try or where to start?