[FreeNX-kNX] CentOS6 FreeNX never starts session

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 23:37:55 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Ryan Cooley
<Ryan_Cooley at cuc.claremont.edu> wrote:

>> The difference is mostly irrelevant to me. I rarely run any normal
>> desktop programs, but I park a freenx session in each of several
>> locations, then run a bunch of stuff in terminal windows - mostly ssh
>> sessions to nearby machines. Then I can grab the whole session from
>> different NX clients with everything left running for months at a
>> time.
>
> You could do the job with much less overhead using SSH and tmux or screen.

I did that in an earlier century.  But the overhead is trivial these
days and I'm not giving up mouse cut/paste, resizable windows and
fonts and the ability to run wireshark and firefox in the session if
needed.  Or the one thing I like about the gnome desktop - the way it
collapses the task-bar icons into a pop-up list when you have a lot of
windows of the same program open.  I usually have 20+ terminal
sessions in that list that are mostly auto-titled with the user at host
target.

>  But my philosophy is pretty similar to yours...  Just fluxbox and urxvt.  I'd need NX far less if links (2.x) was still getting developed, and got CSS support, better javascript, etc.

Just use NX and don't look back.  Even if non-X stuff worked as well,
you'd still have to find matching character-mode terminal emulators
across the client platforms you use.   You can grab the running
freenx session onto linux/windows/mac clients and barely know the
difference.

>> It is actually something they try to tweak to improve performance in
>> their VIclient console sessions - you don't really have to install the
>> guest tools.   I prefer freenx but their native client has the
>> advantage of working even before the guest networking is set up.   And
>> if you need it I can dig up the fix, which wasn't difficult.
>
> That bug may very well be half of my problem...  One of the two systems is a VM. I previously uninstalled VMWare-tools, but maybe some remnant of it is lingering and causing problems.  I would greatly appreciate a pointer in the right direction.  Tips on debugging such issues in the future would also be appreciated.

I think this is the fix:
http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR11I00608
And it looks specific to some version of the vm tools.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com