[FreeNX-kNX] CentOS6 FreeNX never starts session

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 21:05:50 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM,  <chris at ccburton.com> wrote:

>> > You could be 100% of the user base on centos6 ;)
>>
>> No, I have a bunch of them on CentOS 5 and 6, both 32 and 64 bit.
>

> That's useful to know.
>
> I use Centos for email servers etc but have stuck with Suse for desktop
> cos they were always more kde . . .
>

> Actually I now hate kde almost as much as I hate gnome.

The difference is mostly irrelevant to me. I rarely run any normal
desktop programs, but I park a freenx session in each of several
locations, then run a bunch of stuff in terminal windows - mostly ssh
sessions to nearby machines. Then I can grab the whole session from
different NX clients with everything left running for months at a
time.  I do randomize the DISPLAY_BASE in the setups to avoid trouble
with multiple concurrent client sessions when I'm the 1'st (usually
only) user.

>> Works out of the box with a yum install from the centos-extras
>> repository.   Unless the box in question is a VM running under VMware
>> with vmware tools installed.  Something about that will break freenx
>> (there is a fix but I've forgotten it).
>
> Poor vmware. Good whilst it lasted I suppose . . .

It is actually something they try to tweak to improve performance in
their VIclient console sessions - you don't really have to install the
guest tools.   I prefer freenx but their native client has the
advantage of working even before the guest networking is set up.   And
if you need it I can dig up the fix, which wasn't difficult.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com