[FreeNX-kNX] The connection with the remote server was shut down

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Tue Mar 27 14:43:07 UTC 2012

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 26/03/2012 21:31:25:

> I am running Debian wheezy/testing and I keep it up to date frequently.
> I don't shut down when I update.  This is Linux not Windows.

I think the longest I've gone without being told to reboot
eg. for a kernel update is about 93 days . . .

> > - edit /etc/nxserver/node.conf
> > and replace
>
> > COMMAND_START_GNOME="/usr/bin/nx-session-launcher-suid gnome-session"
>
> > with
>
> > COMMAND_START_GNOME="gnome-session"
> > and
> > See if it works.
>
> I tried this and it didn't make any difference.

Hmmmm

Do you mean you still get :-

nx-session-launcher ERROR    Failed to create a CK session using
parameters
nx-session-launcher ERROR    Error:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied:
Interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" isn't exported (or may not
exist),
can't access property "active"

. . .  in your log,
even without using nx-session-launcher ??
else
what's going into the log now, then ??

Your
        COMMAND_START_GNOME="gnome-session"
isn't ### commented out is it ??

If they changed the default you could have had :-

#
#COMMAND_START_GNOME="/usr/bin/nx-session-launcher-suid gnome-session"
#

> I have several up to date Debian wheezy(testing) machines and freenx has
> the same problem on all of them now.  Something has changed in one of
> the libraries that freenx uses and I don't know what it is.

Yes you do, it tells you in the error messages . . . CK and DBus start
session.

> I am getting my freenx from here:
>
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/freenx-team/ubuntu/  karmic
>
> I use karmic because that is the last version that doesn't depend on
> upstart.  Debian does not use upstart and I don't want to install
> upstart just to use freenx.  It has worked fine until recently.

Well

FreeNX doesn't have a daemon,
so
as the "service start" just
        runs a cleanup,(nxserver --cleanup)
        ensures the existance of /tmp/.X11-unix
        and
        "enables|disables" the nx account
                by renaming .ssh/authorized_keys
you can just keep the old /etc/init.d/freenx-server script

> Brent

If just running gnome-session doesn't get rid
or
if you want ConsoleKit

you will need to update (at least)
/usr/bin/nx-session-launcher