[FreeNX-kNX] The nomachine window dissapears when connecting to freenx from windows 7

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Fri Jun 29 19:58:58 UTC 2012

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 28/06/2012 13:51:35:
[SNIP]

> > Any other ideas?
>
> Well . . .
>
> You report no error messages and your window client
> connect fine without shadowing.
>
> You say you managed to get shadowing working from
> Linux, which suggested you know how it works . . .
>
> but
> in your original post you are trying to connect
> to a Local session.
>
> 0 Local BE77ED951144F03C3A18C25774D7E3A1 -------- Running X0 (Local)

> NX Shadowing will only connect to another running
> NX session.

 . . . due to a bug in nxserver in some distros . . .

> Strange. I connected from linux to my local session by choosing
> shadow and the chossing the :0 from the list of opened sessions. I
> even opened the nx window inside the local screen and got the nice
> recursive view of my screen .So if should not be able to connect to

Yup, me too now . . .

> the local screenm It surprises me that I managed to do it somehow.

 . . . well, I found why I couldn't connect to (Local) with
shadowing.

The patch to stop lots of querying of "sessions_list2 which
was using lots of resource stops DESKTOP_SHARING_IDS
from being populated.

Redhat didn't adopt it, so fedora still works.

I never really tried to use it, so I didn't miss it.

> Still I know that vnc server was enabled on that client which could
> be the cause, but I did not choose vnc server from the connection
> options of nxclient, i just choose shadow.
>
> Other relevant facts:
>
> Even when I succeed to start a non-shadow session, I am not able to
> reconnect if I close the nx window. I reopen the connection to
> linux, choose "unix" and not "shadow" my old session gets displayed
> in the list but It fails to connect to it.

You need to look for error messages. Is the nxclient terminating ??

> Two windows eventually pop up, one says " Could not yet establish
> the connection to the remote proxy. Do you want to terminate the
> current session? " . Later another window pops up saying: " NX
> client was not able to establish an unencrypted channel with the
> server.

Unencrypted sessions should only work if the nxclient and FreeNX
server are on the same subnet . . . .

> This could be due to the remote server being behind a
> firewall. If this is the case you should be able to run your session
> by unchecking the option 'Disable SSL encryption in all traffic' in
> the configuration dialog" .

Did you try this ???

> If i try to connect to the old session with "shadow" after I close
> the window it does not get listed at all.

Maybe it's "Terminating" instead of "Disconnecting".

> When i tryed to connect to that session through "shadow" before I
> close the window I succeed completely.

>From windows ???

> To summarize I can connect to new unix sessions and shadow sessions
> while someone is connected.

You have (in node.conf)

        ENABLE_SESSION_SHADOWING_AUTHORIZATION=0

so you should be able to automatically connect to a suspended
session because it doesn't wait for an unconnected user to
authorize the connection.

> I cannot connect to my local view from windows but yes from linux. I
> cannot reconnect to old unix sessions through "unix" option or
> "shadow" option.

Do you see a couple of error message in the nxserver.log

        Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server^
and
        Error: Aborting session with 'Failed to connect to display ':0''.

I also see

        NX Agent exited with exit status 1 occuring twice.

and

The nxclient screen just closes,

*** which is what you reported ***

So

your problem is likely to be .Xauthority based.

Make sure both your Console and FreeNX  sessions use
the same one; the default is a good one

         ~/.Xauthority

kdm uses this one, but I notice gdm (with KDE) seems to
use one in /tmp/kde-user/xauth-uid-_0  ( for example )
so they can't both see the MIT ccokie

Log in to X on the console, start a terminal and enter

        xauth

It will tell you which file it's using.

Do the same within a FreeNX session and see if
they are different.

NOTE I notice some issues with screen sizeing
so if you get a blank "shadow" window try enlarging
it by dragging the corner.