[FreeNX-kNX] The nomachine window dissapears when connecting to freenx from windows 7

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Thu Jun 28 09:55:12 UTC 2012

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 27/06/2012 13:31:55:

> Hi,
[SNIP]
> I now have tried without shadowing and succeeded. It seems that the

OK so, sounds like it's just shadowing not windows . . .

> last time i tried without shadow the system was unable to load the
> window manager, now tried with gnome and seems all right. Still I

This sounds like a Linux issue. Was there an error message??
Did the same configuration work without an NX involvement??

[SNIP
> What's in the client session log on windows ???
[SNIP]

No windows error messages . . .

[SNIP]
> Checked the knowledge base but found almost nothing.
> There was nothing mentioning windows 7 in this way.
> Someone mentioned that black screen  might happen if the
> server does not support shared memory.
> Do you think it might be the problem?

Well do you see :-

Xlib:  extension "MIT-SHM" missing on display ":XXXX.0".

. . .in your logs ?? Are you running an old nxclient ??

http://www.nomachine.com/tr/view.php?id=TR08G02256

> Any other ideas?

Well . . .

You report no error messages and your window client
connect fine without shadowing.

You say you managed to get shadowing working from
Linux, which suggested you know how it works . . .

but
in your original post you are trying to connect
to a Local session.

0 Local BE77ED951144F03C3A18C25774D7E3A1 -------- Running X0 (Local)

NX Shadowing will only connect to another running
NX session.

If you want to connect to your Local session instead,
you need to run a vncserver in your Local session,
select VNC (not Shadow) in nxclient and point it at
the vncserver port.

NX will then speed up your VNC session.

I couldn't say why your Win7 nxclient window is
vanishing, you should just get the black window.