[FreeNX-kNX] RV: establish a encrypted NX session using an alternative SSH client

Julio Carlos Barrera Juez juliocarlos.barrera at grupoica.com
Mon Jul 9 07:41:03 UTC 2012

I appreciate your help Chris!

I understand your explanation more or less, but it doesn’t fit my scenario. I will explain it better.

I have a server with freeNX-server (Version 3.2.0-74-SVN OS (GPL, using backend: 3.5.0)) and I can establish NX sessions with many NX clients (QtNX, openNX, NoMachine official client). Besides I can establish NX sessions using ‘nxssh’ and ‘nxproxy’ without encryption. I do it with these simple commands:

1)      I connect to my server using ‘nxssh’ using the DSA public key with:

nxssh -i /usr/share/qtnx/id.key nx at server_ip –B

login

user

password

startsession --link="adsl" --imagecompressionmethod="-1" --type="unix-application" --application="xeyes" --encryption="0"

(wait…)

2)      I copy the cookie placed in the line ‘701 Proxy cookie:’ and the display in line ‘705 Session display:’. Then I establish NX session with ‘nxproxy’:

‘nxproxy -S ‘server_ip:(display-4000) cookie=proxy_cookie’

Using this simple commands, all the process worked! And the most important thing is that if I change ‘nxssh’ by openssh client or any SSH library it works too.

The second iteration is to do the same with encryption. Then I do:

1)      I connect to my server using ‘nxssh’ using the DSA public key with:

nxssh -i /usr/share/qtnx/id.key nx at server_ip –B

login

user

password

startsession --link="adsl" --imagecompressionmethod="-1" --type="unix-application" --application="xeyes" --encryption="1"

(wait…)

bye

NX> 299 Switch connection to: SSH port: 5001 accept: 127.0.0.1

2)      I copy the cookie placed in the line ‘701 Proxy cookie:’. Then I try establish NX session with ‘nxproxy’:

‘nxproxy -S localhost:1001 cookie=proxy_cookie’

All the process works too!

When I change ‘nxssh’ my SSH library, establishing the SSL Port forwarded tunnel, the whole process works until the ‘nxproxy’ stops when the connection is established and the ‘nxagent’ in server is launched, but both never connect, or never finish negotiating. I don’t understand why.

I can establish an SSL port forwarded tunnel using my library and it works, but with the NX scenario something is wrong.

Thank you!