[FreeNX-kNX] Segfault Error 6 in libc-2.11.1.so When Attemtping to Login to My Server Remotely via NoMachine Client

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Sat Feb 25 12:45:03 UTC 2012

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 25/02/2012 00:28:16:

> Hey Chris,
>
> I created a new hosts file, and I'm able to login fine now... wow!

Does FreeNX work also ??

> Why would my hosts file cause a segfault?

Well, segfaults are often caused by data errors

That's why I asked you about modifying /etc/host in my first
reply to you on 29th Jan . . .

>  I never modified it

. . .  after suggesting file corruption.

> myself manually.  The entires for the domains are created
> automatically by the hosting control panel software.
>
> The old HOSTS file one looked like this (entries are for the domains
> hosted on my servers):
>
> 127.0.0.1    localhost
> 127.0.1.1    eric-desktop

> # ::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> # fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> # ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> # ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> # ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> # ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
> 192.168.[removed].[removed] [LONGLISTOFHOSTS PROBABLY 40+ all one one
line]

Shouldn't matter. I don't know what the maximum is,
but I just tried 1000 with no problem . . .

> The new one looks like this:
>
> #
>
> 127.0.0.1        localhost
> 127.0.1.1    eric-desktop
>
> #
>
> I'm so confused as to why my old one caused problems?  Like I said,
> I never edited it manually.  You are so awesome Chris!

Hardly . . .

It's a 10 min problem (except we've been running at the speed
of (electronic) Pigeon post)

>  It works
> now, but I'd sure like to know why a hosts file can cause all of
> these problems.

Try
        cat your-old-hosts-file |hexdump -C

which will tell us what's really in it.