[FreeNX-kNX] ctrl key behavior differs for same client on different machines [SOLVED]

Mark Wilber wilber at ssl.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 3 02:59:25 UTC 2012

Way back in 2008 I posted a question about needing to escape the ctrl
key when using NX/FreeNX. Nobody replied, but others may have
encountered the same annoyance. Many OS installations later, it came
back to haunt me, but this time I realized the solution to the problem.
I post in case anybody else encounters it:

When using gnome on linux, there is an option under 'Preferences' --->
'Mouse and Touchpad' to 'Show position of pointer when the Control key
is pressed'. (Handy when using a notebook in a high-glare environment.)
When that box is un-checked there longer is any need to escape the ctrl
key in NX sessions.

-Mark

Original posting:

      [FreeNX-kNX] ctrl key behavior differs for same client on
      different machines

    *Mark Wilber*wilber at
    ssl.berkeley.edu<mailto:freenx-knx%40kde.org?Subject=%5BFreeNX-kNX%5D%20ctrl%20key%20behavior%20differs%20for%20same%20client%20on%20different%0A%09machines&In-Reply-To=>
    /Fri Aug 8 03:32:18 CEST 2008/

    I've fruitlessly looked all over for a solution to this.

    While running nxclient-3.2.0-14 on my Fedora 9 desktop to access
    nxserver 3.0.0-74 on a Fedora Core 4 machine things work beautifully,
    but when using the identical client (installed from the same .rpm file)
    on my notebook -- also running Fedora 9 -- there results an annoying
    ctrl key behavior. On my notebook, the ctrl key works (but only
    sometimes) if preceded by the alt key. `Escaping' a ctrl key is pretty
    useless for someone who lives inside emacs.

    Anybody know a fix/workaround that will liberate my ctrl key?

    thanks,
    -Mark

    --
    Mark Wilber / Assistant Research Physicist / Space Sciences Laboratory
    University of California, Berkeley 94720 / 510-643-6896 / 510-643-8302