[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Problem running KDE applications in rootless sessions on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Thu Mar 3 11:07:59 UTC 2011

Stefan Baur <newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de> wrote on 02/03/2011 22:21:48:
[SNIP]
> >          nxagent :1000
> >          DISPLAY=:1000 konqueror ~
> >
> > Have a look in your ~/.xsession-errors too.
> >
> No errors when running nxagent locally - konqueror runs just fine in the

> nxagent window.

Hmmm

[SNIP]
> Well, I had the idea to install the Nomachine NXclient on the same
> machine and connecting to 127.0.0.1.
> Result: the NX session terminates unexpectedly when calling konqueror,
> just like it does on Windows.
> So I can reproduce the issue under Windows (NXClient 3.4.0-5) and Linux
> (NXClient 3.4.0-7).

So, d'you mean that if you run nxagent locally, a rootless
konqueror works fine, but if you run nxclient locally rootless
konqueror doesn't ??

> The crash logs *nothing* in .xsession-errors
>
> If it's not an NX nor a FreeNX issue, what is it?
> > Do you have two versions of kde installed ??
> Not sure what you mean by that. My test machine is a stock install:

Suse allowed you to keep both kde3 and kde4 but changed the
paths for one of them so it wasn't completely standard . . .

>kde-window-manager 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 KDE 4 window manager
>kdepimlibs5 4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1 core libraries for KDE

Looks like you are running 4.4.5 not 4.3.1

I'm only on 4.3.5 so we aren't testing quite the same thing
and I don't know what startkde launches.

It could just be a libraries issue, as the full kde works OK.

Try launching full kde4 from a remote xterm, then exiting it as
soon as it is running and then immediately try (a rootless)
konqueror from xterm and see if it can find everything it
needs to run.