[FreeNX-kNX] Logging in takes a long time

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Sat Apr 30 15:42:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have setup FreeNX server on an Ubuntu 10.04 server and connect to it
with the standard NX Windows client. Everything works fine, but it takes
a very long time to connect. After submitting the password, it takes 7-8
seconds for the screen window to appear, and then another 25 seconds
until I see the session desktop. I'm resuming a previous session almost
every time. The window resolution is 1280x1024. My internet connection
is DSL, downstream 12 Mbps, upstream 1 Mbps, ping time like 30 ms.
There's generally no noticeable delay when using the desktop, so the
actual connection is fast.

I've already enabled informational logging in the NX server. There's no
message logged in the time between the appearance of the session window
and the appearance of the desktop. (I see the red "!M" logo in that
time.) I've also found NX client logs here but they stop shortly after
the session window appeared, thus not covering my wait time.

Then I've traced the network activity with Wireshark and found that in
the whole time I saw that !M logo, there was a constant exchange of SSH
packets of 48 or 64 bytes size. It was more than a thousand packets that
went forth and back all the time. Of course I don't know what was in them.

So that's the observations. I've found another thread from some years
ago where somebody had the same problem but there was no solution found.
A statement in this thread was that the whole connection procedure
should only take a few seconds. This is clearly not the case here. It
has never been. I do get much faster connections to a local server (my
test environment running in a local VM, same server software setup), but
when it comes to a real internet connection, it's always that slow.

Is there still hope for me? :)