[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Fedora 14 black screen

Mario Ceresa mrceresa at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 14:30:48 UTC 2011

Hey Chris,

I solved the problem!

I switched to xterm as you suggested and nothing was happening. So I
dwelled into the code and, after an intense debug session and a cup of
coffe, I discovered that the nxnode script was dying mercilessly just
before invoking the $NODE_APPLICATION. Why? It sources the user
profile and mine contained the line:

exec /usr/bin/ssh-agent $SHELL

Commenting it out did the magic. Any idea why it interferes with NX?
It works with local or ssh login.

I have to say that the bash code is quite straitforward to follow,
however it would be nice to have a log file also for the nxnode, maybe
as another file into the C-session dir? Now I only see logs for
nxserver and nxagent, but there is at least another
nxnode-blank-screen related issue in the FAQ:

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ/Problem_Solving#When_I_connect.2C_all_I_get_is_a_blank_screen

so maybe it could be worthy putting some debug statements in it too.

Is freenx still actively mantained? I see the last release on berlios
is from 2008

Thanks for the hint and congrats: NX performance is really impressive!

Best,

Mario