[FreeNX-kNX] Re: libXcompext.so.3 missing due to libpng12.so.0 issue

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Thu Apr 28 12:02:55 UTC 2011

cognitive.libertarian+ml at gmail.com wrote on 27/04/2011 19:21:17:
[SNIP]

> That's a typo.  Sorry for the confusion.  All these packages are in

No confusion. I just go off what you write . . .

[SNIP]
> > I can't see a conflict ???
>
> This is at the top of the output from ldd:
>
>   $ ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/nxagent
>   /usr/X11R6/bin/nxagent: /usr/NX/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version
> information available (required by
/usr/local/src/nx/nxcomp/libXcomp.so.3)
>   /usr/X11R6/bin/nxagent: /usr/NX/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version
> information available (required by
> /usr/local/src/nx/nxcompext/libXcompext.so.3)

I still can't see a conflict.

> When running "ldconfig -p | grep png":
>
>         libpng12.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/NX/lib/libpng12.so.0
>         libpng12.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0
>         libpng12.so   (libc6) => /usr/NX/lib/libpng12.so
>         libpng12.so   (libc6) => /usr/lib/libpng12.so
>
> So there are two versions in play.  I'm not sure how to go about
> resolving this.

You don't have to. The paths do that for you(if you set them properly).

> > Compile/install all the SERVER stuff, don't use the client libraries.
>
> The guides out there are a bit tangled.  They don't name the server
> and client packages.  Is nxagent a server or client?

nxagent is an X server, i.e. a client in normal speak. Clear ??

[SNIP]

> I'm at a wall.
>
> Any other ideas?

No, just the same one.
Forget your franken-install
Forget using the client libs for the server
Install the correct debian packages, (but don't ask me where
they are, I don't use it)
or
if you can't find any, it's easy enough to download and compile
the source.

At the risk of being boring, I'll explain how.

Move to a new a directory where you have wxr
Make sure your temp directory is x too

wget and untar the following:-

http://64.34.161.181/download/3.4.0/sources/nxproxy-3.4.0-2.tar.gz
http://64.34.161.181/download/3.4.0/sources/nxcomp-3.4.0-7.tar.gz
http://64.34.161.181/download/3.4.0/sources/nxcompext-3.4.0-1.tar.gz
http://64.34.161.181/download/3.4.0/sources/nxcompshad-3.4.0-3.tar.gz
http://64.34.161.181/download/3.4.0/sources/nx-X11-3.4.0-4.tar.gz
http://64.34.161.181/download/3.4.0/sources/nxauth-3.4.0-3.tar.gz
http://64.34.161.181/download/3.4.0/sources/nxagent-3.4.0-16.tar.gz

That should give you the following subdirectories:-
nxcomp
nxcompext
nxcompshad
nxproxy
nx-X11

Check/install devel dependencies, including:-

freetype2-devel
libpng-devel
glibc-devel
libjpeg-devel
zlib-devel
xorg-x11-libXfixes-devel
xorg-x11-libXpm-devel
libstdc++44-devel
libstdc++-devel
and
you need the gcc c++ compiler

cd nx-X11
make World
# note the W. Wait for ages whilst it compiles.
cd ..
cd nxproxy
./configure
make

If it all compiles OK, copy the results as root:-

nx-X11/lib/X11/libX11.so*
nx-X11/lib/Xext/libXext.so*
nx-X11/lib/Xrender/libXrender.so*
nxcompext/libXcompext.so*
nxcompshad/libXcompshad.so*
nxcomp/libXcomp.so*

 . . . to where your libraries go eg.
/usr/lib/NX/lib

and

nx-X11/programs/Xserver/nxagent
nx-X11/programs/nxauth/nxauth
nxproxy/nxproxy

 . .  to where your executables go eg.
/usr/lib/NX

You can strip nxagent and libX11.so.6.2 to
save a bit of memory.

Set that wrapper back to how it was
and
put it in /usr/bin
make it chown root and chmod rx for all.

Clean up all the stuff you copied etc

Say thank-you to those nice clever Italians.