[FreeNX-kNX] Printer configuration missing screen

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Fri Aug 20 14:24:28 UTC 2010

playerum <controle.um at gmail.com> wrote on 20/08/2010 13:44:02:

> Hi, again.
>
> I read a lot of stuff about local printing, but i'm stucked.

Printing to windows wasn't finished in FreeNX 0.7.3 and
only works with some patching.

Some distros have patched theirs but I'm not sure about
madriva.

You will need to get rid of

        ENABLE_CUPS_SEAMLESS="1"
        ( ="0" )

first though, else you are trying to download a ppd file from
windows.

And you need

        ENABLE_CUPS_SERVER_EXPORT="1"

I think that's the default though.

You are best installing the linux nxclient on your the server also,
and making sure your nxdialog uses it all the time, even if
        $DIALOG_TYPE = "printer"
(about line 80)

This should allow you to choose the .ppd for your printer,
without wating 5 mins for the list to appear.

Choose the .ppd, don't spool raw (postscript) . . .

Check if a userland cupsd is starting for your nx session and
check which cupsd your nx session thinks it should be
spooling to.

Check the

        $CUPS_SERVER

env var, to see if it points to
~/.nx/C-host-port-"session-id"/cups/cups.sock

It doesn't get set properly without patching.

You need to check /usr/lib{,64}/cups/backend/nxsmb
to see if it is patched to change

nxsmb:// to smb://  (line 43 or so)

else smbspool won't understand it. . . .

If you have lib64 libraries in nxsmb, make sure nxsmb can
find

        libnxredir.so.0

 which may well be in lib

etc

etc

I have users printing to XP, but my nxnode is pretty much
rebuilt to get it going as I want ( no dialogs if the ppd is set up
etc )

> Maybe someone can help me.

It's best to have a fully patched FreeNX, but hardly anyone seems
to use smb spooling, so you are kind of on your own . . . .

> My system:
> Mandriva 2010.1
> FreeNX 0.7.3
> NX Client 3.4.0-7
>
> I configured the Windows XP NX Client > Services -> Enable printer and
> file sharing and choose my local printer.

You will of course need a printer share available and set up
in the nxclient with a valid login . . . OK you did that . . . .

Let me know how you get on.

I don't mind helping you to get it going (if I have the
time free, of course)