[FreeNX-kNX] Printing issue - Fedora 11

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Tue Oct 20 17:13:00 UTC 2009

Vivek <vivek at visolve.com> wrote on 20/10/2009 13:55:59:

> Hello Chris,
>
> Thanks for your help...
>
> I have tried to access http://localhost:20000 directly from the

Usually its 20000, but check using

netstat -napt|grep cups

> CLIENT with the username and password from /home/vivek/.nx/C-
> */cups/printers.conf file. But i was unable to access the admin or
> printers page...

If you can't access the client user-space cupsd from on the client, then
you likely have the password wrong. Make sure you get the right session
and don't copy the @ sign.

The NX client sets it all up locally, so if you access it locally there is
no tunneling involved and in fact FreeNX isn't involved at all.

If you can't connect to the usr cupsd on the client as vivek with the
password from the printers.conf on the server, that would count as a show
stopper.

> My /hone/vivek/.nx/cups/cupsd.conf contains the same as like as you
have,
>                          <Location />
>                          Order Deny,Allow
>                          Deny From All
>                          Require user vivek
>                          AuthType Digest
>                          Allow from 127.0.0.1
>                          </Location>
>                          StateDir /home/vivek/.nx/cups/certs

That means the vivek can access it with the right password.

> and /home/vivek/.nx/C-**/cups/cupsd.conf file
>
> #JJK:  Restrict access to the server...
> <Location />
> Order Deny,Allow
> Deny From All
> Allow from 127.0.0.1
> </Location>
>
> #JJK: Restrict access to the admin pages...
> <Location /admin>
>   Encryption Required
>   Order allow,deny
>   Allow localhost
> </Location>
>
> #JJK: Restrict access to configuration files...
> <Location /admin/conf>
>   AuthType Basic
>   Require user @SYSTEM
>   Order allow,deny
>   Allow localhost
> </Location>

That stuff is regarding the use cupsd on the server.

> CLIENT printers admin page and printers are accessible wherever in
> the network..

I guess you mean the client system cupsd. We're not there yet !!

> Two files were creating under /home/vivek/.nx/C-**/cups/spool/
> directory while try to printing,
>
> c00001,  d00001-001

That's on the server session.

> and one nxipp process was starting.
>
> On the SERVER,     /var/log/cups/error_log shows the following message,
>
> process_browse_data(uri="ipp://172.16.1.36:
> 631/printers/LaserJet_P2015", host="172.16.1.36",
> resource="/printers/LaserJet_P2015", type=290d6, state=3,
> location="vik-co", info="LaserJet", make_model="HP LaserJet P2015
> Series Postscript (recommended)", num_attrs=2, attrs=0x13728e8)
> process_browse_data: LaserJet_P2015 at 172.16.1.36 not found...
> process_browse_data: LaserJet_P2015 found, type=10290d6,
> hostname=172.16.1.36...

That looks like it's printing over the normal network rather than via the
FreeNX tunnel ( which is how most people run things ).

cups will sort this sort of thing out for you on its own if you publish
your printer.

It should be localhost:agent-port  for the tunnel.

Run

        lpstat -t

whilst in a remote server session and see what you session thinks is going
on.

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ