[FreeNX-kNX] Printing issue - Fedora 11

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Tue Oct 13 18:06:32 UTC 2009

Vivek <vivek at visolve.com> wrote on 13/10/2009 12:31:13:

> Hello Chris,
>
> I tried to make it working. But no luck.
>
> Why client shouldn't provide the appropriate ppd file but windows client

> provides the correct ppd.

Not quite sure what you mean . . .

> Did i missed anything ?...
>
> Please share your views to identify the root cause.

I thought your problem was a Busy Printer message ??

I think "Network host a.b.c.d is busy" etc is the message cups socket://
gives if it finds the IP address but doesn't get a connection . . . .

Regarding ppd files, if you want the horrible truth . . .

With a windows client, you have to choose the appropriate ppd driver
from the list, which either . .

launches gs ( or whatever ps2printer filter it is configured with)
to convert *nix postscript to the correct format for a non PS
printer . . .
or
doesn't if you have a PS compatible printer, it spools PS.

Once you have chosen, FreeNX remembers your choice and gives you
the option to stick with it or re-configure.

The .ppd files are copied and stored below the cupsd's own working
directory
ie ~/.nx/C-Session-id/cups/ppd/*.ppd

ipp:// PS to a *nix PS printer also has .ppd files.

With a *nix client using ipp:// printing , you are printing via
three cupsds in a chain, the user-land one on the server, a user-land
one on the client and the system one on the client (this is to avoid
giving away your password, not that I want your password).

If you set the server to ENABLE_CUPS_SEAMLESS=1, FreeNX attempts
to download the .ppd file from the client.

If you installed the cupsd-wrapper script on the client ( did you ???),
then the user-land cupsd on the client will have copies of the .ppd
files which the wrapper downloaded from the client machine system
cupsd, but then renamed as your-printer_nxdl.ppd.

These are then UP-loaded TO the server for use by the user-land
cupsd on the server.

With me so far ????

If you don't use the wrapper then the FreeNX curl job saves the
"File not found" HTML page in the ppd directory under ~/.nx/config
as a your-printer.ppd file even though it isn't any such thing.

BUT . . . .

This doesn't matter, because the non .ppd file downloaded by
FreeNX ISN'T USED and FreeNX, or more properly cups, which
helpfully sets up the printer anyway, sets it to spools raw
PS through to wherever you told it to go, in our case down the
chain of cupsds, where, by a miracle good defaulting, it is
finally processed by the .ppd file on the client system cupsd.

cups ignores the -P .ppd switches to lpadmin if it doesn't
like what it sees there which is most of the time.

This of course is why it is the best to use seamless.
No .ppd issues . . . though not nessessarily as you were
expecting it to work.

If you don't use ENABLE_CUPS_SEAMLESS=1 but instead elect
to select a .ppd driver from the dialogue, any PS2windoze
conversion needed is done by the user-land cupsd on the server
and you need to spool RAW along the chain to the printer.

So you say you have it working on windows ???

What error messages are you getting exactly in *nix??

How far is the spool going??

Do you have your cupsds set to accept application/octet-stream??

etc

And how do you know it's not an "appropriate ppd file"

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ