[FreeNX-kNX] Printing issue - Fedora 11

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Thu Oct 8 14:48:14 UTC 2009

Prakash Velayutham <prakash.velayutham at cchmc.org> wrote on 08/10/2009
15:06:35:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I would be interested to know about this too. And, may be I can help
> fix any issues and send out patches, if that will help.
>
> I have tried this FreeNX/SMB printing over SSH tunnel several times
> before. I did get it working in one setup. But I am unable to
> replicate the same again to a second FreeNX server for some reason.

There's not much needing doing . . .

Fabian, Kurt el al. did loads of work on this application, but I think
windows printing was the poor sister, so didn't get smoothed off.

eg Fabian wrote the libnxredir.so library and nxsmb to fix the samba 445
issue,
but there is a line missing in nxsmb, so normal users get are left
wondering
a bit why is doesn't just go.

They then did the session mirroring, which will have a way larger demand,
and
I guess they had to go and earn a living and it all just timed out.

In the meantime I got it going for myself 'cos I don't use ipp printing,
which all
works fine out of the box, especialy the cups seamless, so I just have to
go
through my changes and get rid of the stuff which has already been fixed
since 7.1

The main bug is the catch up to the cups change to not write a pid file,
which
leaves all these old user cupsd instances everywhere, but even then
restarting
your servers every week or two to kill of rougue acroreaders etc sorts
that out
so we don't have much to complain about . . .

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ