[FreeNX-kNX] Installing FreeNX on Debian Lenny

Srdan Dukic srdan.dukic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:53:27 UTC 2009

2009/11/5 Mark Weisler <mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us>

> Srdan Dukic wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to install the FreeNX server on Debian Lenny, but am having
> > problems.
> >
> > I followed the instructions found at[1], but ended up getting the
> following
> > error:
> >
> > # apt-get install freenx
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Package freenx is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> > This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> > is only available from another source
> > E: Package freenx has no installation candidate
> >
> > What am I doing wrong here?
> >
> > Thank you,
> ...snip...
> It appears that your sources list is not aware of Freenx and where and
> how to obtain it and install it for you.
> Below is the link to how to install using Ubuntu (built on Debian). It
> clearly describes how to include Freenx in your sources list and is very
> well written. I used this procedure just today and it worked for me.
>
> I believe this may be a guide or even exactly the steps that will work
> for you.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX
>
> Good luck.
> Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the advice. I have seen that page and can confirm that it does
indeed work on Ubuntu. However, when I try to add the Ubuntu ppa repository
to the Debian Lenny sources.list I get a whole bunch of dependency errors.

Also, I just realised I forgot to add the reference in my original question
:s The guide I originally followed can be found at:

http://wiki.debian.org/freenx

--
Srđan Đukić