[FreeNX-kNX] functions defined in /etc/profile.d/* are not set in nx session

Urs Beyerle urs.beyerle at env.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 12 21:07:02 UTC 2009

Hi all

I have the following problem with nx: The functions defined in the
scripts under /etc/profile.d are not set when connecting over nx. They
are set correctly when connecting over ssh. To reproduce this, just
compare the output of "declare" between a nx session and a ssh session.
This problem breaks packages like bash-completion, environment-modules,
etc. in all nx sessions.

I haven't found out why this happens, since the scripts in
/etc/profile.d are sourced (by nxnode running . /etc/profile - I guess),
but the functions defined there are missing afterwards.

I run FreeNX version 0.7.2 (from openSUSE NX repo) and 0.7.3 on openSUSE
10.3-11.1 and SLES10. Everywhere the same problem.

I've found some old threads about bash-completion and FreeNX, but not
really a solution
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx-knx/2007-March/004798.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2005-October/011281.html

Anybody else seeing this problem too? Has someone an idea what's happening?

Thanks,

    Urs